Computation + life + physics resources
# Artificial life
Course material covering cellular automata, term rewriting, evolutionary systems.
- Artificial Chemistries (Banzhaf & Yamamoto)
Textbook covering various kinds of simulated chemical systems. Essential reading.
# Thermodynamics and computation
- Irreversibility and Heat Generation in the Computing Process (Landauer)
The paper that presented Landauer’s principle of heat generation in computing.
- The thermodynamics of computation—a review (Bennet)
Overview of computation in thermodynamical systems in light of Landauer’s principle and computability theory.
- Reversibility for Efficient Computing (Frank)
- Logical Reversibility of Computation (Bennet)
# Physics and computation
- Information, Physics, Quantum: The search for links
Classic paper by Wheeler on unsolved problems relating physics to information.
- Feynman and Computation
Collection of papers connecting physics to computation in memory of Feynman.
- Looking at Nature as a Computer (Margolus)
- Physics-like models of computation (Margolus)
- Norman Margolus’ homepage
- Invertible Cellular Automata: A Review (Toffoli and Margolus)
- What is the Lagrangian counting? (Toffoli)
- On Wheeler’s notion of “law without law” in physics (Deutsch)
- A Digital Perspective and the Quest for Substrate-Universal Behaviors
- Reviews and criticism of Stephen Wolfram’s A New Kind of Science